If a patient needs to visit a physical therapist, one of the things that they dread is filling out the necessary physical therapy forms. Necessary as they are, filling out these forms can be a challenge to most people for several reasons.
Patients usually do not have all the information being asked in the physical therapy forms. Some personal data are difficult to remember so they have to go through documents to be able to give the required information. A lot of them also feel that the time they spent filling out the forms rob of the actual treatment time. This is not really the case but a result of their exasperation.
How then can a private practitioner make this necessity less of a chore? If you do not have the electronic versions of the physical therapy forms, you can send them by post days before the actual visit. The patients fill out the forms at the convenience of their homes and either send it back or bring the physical therapy forms on the day their visit. If you do have the electronic versions, then you can email them to patients. They can sign the forms in person when they get to be in the clinic.
Some private practices have electronic physical therapy forms that patients can download from their website. However, these forms are not fillable. Patients have to print, fill up, scan and email the forms back to the clinic or bring them during the appointment.
The ideal electronic physical forms allow patients to fill out them out online and the system can just capture the information. This is a convenient method with the following benefits:
- Happy patients who do not need to come 30 minutes before their appointments just to fill up the physical therapy forms,
- Readable information. You do not need to decipher the handwriting of patients which are hardly legible at times, more so if their medical condition affects the arms or the hands,
- Savings on printing out the physical therapy forms,
- Environment friendly since printing is kept to a minimum
- Best of all, the system can capture and extract your patient’s information from the physical therapy forms. It can then load the data into software applications that the clinic uses. This ensures accuracy in physical therapy documentation which is a must to ensure approval of reimbursement and prevent malpractice suits. It also makes sure that the health of the patient is not compromised due to errors. Physical therapy forms can ease and support the documentation process.
As a private practitioner in this high-technology generation, it is advisable to embrace it and use it to help you ease patients’ lives by the simple matter of making filling out physical therapy forms more convenient.